April 14, 2014

Route 66 (and then some)

I remember years ago when 40 was really old. I figured life would be about finished by then. Actually, I never really thought much past 40 because why even bother. There was nothing on the other side.

Now we have two children over 40. Amazingly there is still life for them and, even more astounding, for us too. Both Michael and I turn 68 this year. To my former way of thinking we should be drooling oatmeal by now, but amazingly, we feel the same as we did at 20. (Well, mentally. Our bodies don't quite act like 20 anymore.)

My grandma used to say, "Youth is wasted on the young." I was young so that didn't make any sense to me. As I watch our grandchildren endlessly expending energy, though, I am beginning to see what Grandma was talking about.

As we get older it's easy to settle back in our rocking chairs and decide how everyone else should act. Second guessing other people's decisions, especially family members', is easy when you don't have to make many of your own.

Maybe that is why God is keeping us in the thick of things. Every day we have to make decisions, many affecting the lives of others. We get to face challenges and road blocks and must seek Him for answers. There's no time for sitting, much less rocking.

I think God plans for each of us to have purpose every day of our lives. He waited 80 years to speak to Moses about his life's purpose. Seems to me that says God doesn't see age as an excuse for sitting back and doing nothing. (Or it took Moses a long time to get ready. Either way, it's good news as we get older.)

Last year our youngest grandson was trying to guess how old I was. After thinking about it for a while, he said, "Well, I'm not sure how old you are, but I don't think you are very old." 

How sweet! That's a pretty good compliment coming from a six-year-old. Then he continued, "Because people get really thin when they get old."

I guess that gives me something to look forward to. 



the route over the hill





No comments:

Post a Comment